Going to the gym day in and day out can often be a slog, especially for people looking to get fit while having fun. Getting out of the gym can have a number of health benefits including getting back to nature, exercising muscles in new ways, and can even serve as social events. Below are 5 ways to exercise while avoiding the dreary gym.
- Rock Climbing- Besides being a great cardiovascular and strength based workout, just one hour of climbing can burn anywhere from 600 to 1000 calories. Rock climbing is an exciting sport that allows participants to develop their own techniques and styles which will help keep it interesting for a long time to come. The biggest downside is that without mountains or rough landscaping in your area you may find yourself having to go to a rock climbing club.
- Sports- If you are looking to add a competitive edge to your daily fitness routine there are amateur leagues available in a variety of sports including football, soccer, and of course bowling. Playing these sports consistently can burn an additional 100 to 1,200 calories an hour.
- Hiking- Get out of the gym and get back into nature. Not only does hiking serve as an amazing cardiovascular exercise being in nature can increase mental health as well. Depending on where you are travelling, hiking can burn anywhere from 200 to 500 calories an hour.
- Bodyweight Fitness- One of the biggest benefits of bodyweight fitness is that it can be done anywhere, anytime. Pushups, crunches, and handstands are all ways you can utilize your own weight in order to see gains. Form is very important for bodyweight fitness as it often requires the activation of joints as well including wrists and knees.
- Salsa Dancing- This is the perfect way to bring a couple closer while they get fit. Salsa is a fast paced and stylish dance which means not only will you be burning off those extra calories you will acquire a unique skill. Salsa dancing is especially useful for increasing mobility and reaction time.
There may come a time when the gym just doesn’t seem to be as entertaining as it used to be. Use this list above if you are looking at add some pizazz to your next big workout routine.